Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Auto damage and a Deer

So, I hit my first deer last night. I am ok, and the damage to my car really wasn't that bad. But honestly, what has got me the most upset is that there is an animal out there hurting because of me! Sure, it ran out in front of me and I know there is nothing I can do, but it still doesn't make me feel any better. It was about 5:30pm last night, and I was on my way home from work (only about 5 minutes from work actually) and I tried to call Brandon at home to see if he needed anything from CVS. I couldn't get him, so I hung up, and made the left turn onto Birch Creek Road. Less than 30 seconds later, the deer (a doe) ran out in front of me. I hit my brakes but it really was too late. I just hit the butt of it - shattering my front left headlight, and it continued to run into the woods. There was someone behind me, so he stopped to make sure I was ok and said, "That thing came out of no where!", and I said, "Yeah, well that is how they roll." I was amazingly calm, and no idea why that phrase came out of my mouth, like I am Mr. GQ or something. Anyway, I called Brandon (after 10 tries, he finally picked up), and then called Highway Patrol. They asked me if I thought the damage to my car was more than $1000, and I said I didn't think so, and they said in that case I wouldn't need a report, but if later my insurance company requested one, I could call them back and get one. So, I continued my trip home (slowly and more cautious this time). Brandon was really sweet, and offered to come and get me, but I said I was fine. Again, amazingly calm (especially for me). When I got home, he was waiting for me with a flashlight and camera, and took in the damage. Of course when the boy looks at the car, he sees more damage than the girl, but still isn't too bad. Brandon said he called his dad to ask if what the Highway Patrol told me was correct, and his dad said, "Tell Ginny that it happens to the best of families, because it has happened to me." So, I guess I am officially on the "Inscore Roster" for deer killing, even though I didn't want to do it! Brandon has never hit one, but he sure has shot one or two - something I will never understand. Anyway, we came back inside, and Brandon gave me a big hug and said it would be ok. He said he would stay home from "Theology on Tap" (men's group from church), but I told him no, go ahead, I am fine. The rest of the night I proceeded to bake, clean up, and pack for our Thanksgiving weekend away, but my mind just kept going to the poor deer that was suffering in the woods somewhere because of me!

The good part about the night, was that I had that feeling that someone was watching over me. I don't get it very often, but when I do, it really is a cool feeling. I think that is why I was able to stay so calm. Just little signs when I look back on the night - the fact that Brandon didn't pick up the first time I called, or I would have been on the phone with him when the deer ran out in front of me, and may not have been as aware and could have done more damage to the car and myself. The fact that someone was behind me (but not too close for following distance) and nice enough to stop and make sure I was ok. The fact that where the accident took place was not a busy road, so I felt safe pulling on the side of the road. The fact that where I pulled over, there were two horses at the top of the hill just looking down on me (I work out towards the country in McLeansville) - I know it is corny, but I thought of them as my guardian angels. And most of all, I feel lucky that not more damage was done and that I am ok. So yeah, someone is watching over me, and I know exactly who that is, and that is a really really cool feeling.

No comments: