Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

decisions, decisions, decisions....

Ugh.....I know I have a million more hard decisions ahead of me, but I already don't like having to make them! Brandon and I are struggling with the decision on whether I should get the flu shot or not. Brandon has never had one, and my sister-n-law never had one while she was pregnant and also has never had my niece or nephew get one. You see, Brandon's dad had Guillain-Barre (a rare syndrome but severe paralytic illness). Rex contracted it from the 1976 Swine Flu vaccine. And while studies are unclear, it has usually been suggested that no one from that blood line get a flu vaccine as they are at higher risk for the illness. Brandon's dad was one of the lucky ones that overcame the paralyzing affects, even though he still struggles daily with tingling in his feet. I haven't had a flu vaccine since I met Brandon. However, in talking it over with our doctor, while she realizes it is a hard decision, and one only we can make, she pointed out that the risks involved with contracting the flu while pregnant can be just as bad if not worse. So, Brandon is worried about me and that baby. I feel like we are flipping a coin, and that is not really how I want my first real big decision involving my baby to be. I have been praying for God to give me a sign, so I hope he does, as I have another doctor's appt today at 10:30!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Get it. I never really started getting it regularly until I was pregnant with Sydney - and now I get it every year. (And I'm so glad I did - esp. since work has had an "outbreak" every year the last few years...) As long as the baby won't be affected by it... do it. Just this once. :) (And if they have the flu mist, it's not even a shot!)