Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Strawberry Wine

I was going through all my old CDs today to start uploading them to my IPod and I came across one of my favorites that I hadn't listened to in years! - my Deanna Carter, "Did I Shave My Legs For This" CD. I forgot how much I liked the song "Strawberry Wine". Once it loaded onto my IPod, I listened to it and found myself singing away. I think I like the song so much because it is one of few songs that I actually know all the words to and think I sound pretty good singing it (at least to my own ears - never heard a tape record of myself). I played it again later on the CD player in our kitchen while heating up leftovers for dinner.

Me: "Hey honey, listen to this - this was one of my favorite songs in high school."
BI: "Oh yeah, Strawberry Wine......most guys hate that song."
Me: "Why!?!"
BI: "Because it reminds most girls of their high school boyfriend."
Me: "Oh........"

Sure enough, I had found myself earlier that day when I first listened to it, doing the same thing! But, mine was for a different reason than most. I remember going to a talent show with my high school sweetheart at his school where one of his "friends" was singing this song as her talent. Before she came on stage, I was excited to get to meet one of his friends and hear her sing. Well, then she came on, and the jealousy instantly hit! She was gorgeous! She was one of those girls that you couldn't help but be jealous of, and even though I knew her and my boyfriend were just friends (or at least he said), you couldn't help but wonder and realize that he probably had a major crush on her and she was your competition. Oh the joys of the teenage years!! I have to sit back and laugh now - at how jealous I could be, and the lack of self confidence I had back then. I mean, of course we all have our pains of jealousy still and we may still question ourselves at times, but nothing like when we were teenagers! And to be honest, I can't remember when I bought my CD - was it before or after that talent show? Hmmmm, oh well :)

Me: "......yeah, I can see that, but I still like it."
BI: "I know you do."
Me: continuing to sing...."Strawberry Wine, seventeen, the hot July moon, saw everything....."

1 comment:

Emily said...

oh.my.god. i LURVE that song. LOVE LOVE it. I need it on my iPod too. (it doesn't remind me of an old boyfriend though..it makes me think of my sister b/c we used to sing it REALLY LOUDLY while driving around.)