Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Money, money, money.....

.....in the insurance biz towards the end of the year, this is the only word you hear. And being as I work in Finance and that I am in charge of disbursements, I am getting hassled constantly by coworkers on when they will be able to pay out money to their clients. The holidays are not only stressful in making sure you get all your Christmas presents bought and wrapped, baking, Christmas cards, making plans, but work is stressful too. I am doing my best to stay up-beat, and not let it get to me, and I must admit, I am doing much better this year than in year's past. Part of that has to do with the fact that I am more comfortable in my position now, and feel I have a little more footing in denying some requests by colleagues. But, I have also taken an oath with myself that I will not let work get to me anymore. It just isn't worth it. I still have a strong work ethic, and of course want to do a good job, but just don't seem to be as career oriented as I used to be. I used to bust my butt, work crazy hours, and dream about work. Of course that panned out and helped me get promotions and then get selected for my current position, but I am content to stay where I am for now. Of course, if an opportunity comes along, I have to keep my options open, but I am hoping I can just stay under the radar for a little while, and enjoy life. Most people, not even Brandon, truly understand my job and what all I do, but my friend, Jess started working at Willis a few years ago, and so it has been nice to be able to talk to someone who knows what I am talking about. I am looking forward to a long holiday weekend (when Christmas falls in the middle of the week, it isn't as nice), but I know work will really start to become stressful on the 26th and won't let up until January. At least working in reinsurance, we are not dealing with people's personal lives as in primary insurance, we just deal with other companies, but when you hear that an insurance company is going to incur a penalty on their schedule F if they do not receive the 2,000,000 you owe them by the end of the year, it is a hard burden to bear - just times that by about 10 and that is what I am dealing with at work :) I am just glad that I am in Finance now, as opposed to my old department, when I had the clients actually harassing me personally looking for funds - now I just have to deal with the harassment of my coworkers (I say harassment in the nicest of ways!). Anyway, I am off to finish baking - we have "goody day" tomorrow at work - more reasons to pack on the pounds during holiday season!!

No comments: