Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Perfect day

Well, maybe not perfect, but I had a really good day. There are a lot of things that make me happy, and one of them is hanging out with my niece and nephew. Brandon and I headed out early this morning towards Wilkesboro, and after a breakfast stop at biscuitville (mandatory before morning roadtrip) we arrived at Derek & Jana's house. I felt like such a bad aunt since we hadn't seen the kids since May, and I always get a bit nervous on if they will still like to hang out with us, but my fears quickly diminished and a smile spread across my face when Ashlyn and Weston came running towards our car before we could even make it all the way up the driveway. I L.O.V.E. these kids!! We spent the morning outside throwing the baseball and playing basketball, and just laughing and having a good time. I felt like I was thirteen again. Days like today made me fall in love with Brandon all over again. I love this man so much, and just seeing how he interacts with his family makes me love him even more. He had just as much fun playing ball with the kids as they did. See, that is the joy of being an aunt and uncle - you don't have to be the ones to discipline or tell them to stop when they start to do something they shouldn't. You just get to play with them and be the one they fight over who gets to sit beside at a meal, or in the car......it is great! Ashlyn and Weston remind me a lot of my brother and me - and hanging out with them always takes me back to the fun times my bro and I had. There is just about the same age difference between them as is with us. They love to play together, and at the same time, get on one another's nerves. One can't be doing something unless the other one can as well. My brother and I used to play all day - we would run around outside, ride our bikes, and best of all - we made killer pillow forts! We would play until one of us made the other cry. And such was the case with Ashlyn and Weston. But, at the same time, when one of them started to cry, they would comfort one another. It is amazing that even at age 7 and 5, you can already tell what amazing people they are going to be. They have grown up in a wonderful christian home, with lots of family that loves and spoils them, and they also have their own personalities - ones that I love to see grow. Weston is such a sweet little boy, and gets funnier and funnier every time I am around him. And Ashlyn is smart, athletic, adorable and going to drive the boys wild. Right now she loves being a "tom-boy". I couldn't believe how tall she had gotten since we last saw her. At age 7, she is already almost to my shoulders. But, that didn't stop her from running and jumping on me ;) Around lunchtime, we all hopped in the Acadia (I love having a car we can all fit in!) and went out for pizza. Jana and I crawled in the back and chatted away, the kids sat in the middle, and Brandon and Derek had some brotherly bonding and guy talk up front. It was just so nice being with family. Just hate we don't see them more often, and aren't a part of one another's lives more. Usually when we visit we just end up going out to eat, but today it was nice to hang out at their house, play with the kids, and ride around town together. Jana drove the car home (there may be another Acadia or comparable Chevy Traverse in the family soon!) and then after three more throws each of the baseball by Ashlyn and Weston, we said our goodbyes. That is always the hard part :( We stopped by the in-law's house for about an hour for a quick visit and then headed home. What made this day even more perfect, is that Brandon chauffeured me and I caught up on some Sex and the City episodes on the DVD player from the backseat :) Now, I am home in my PJs, stuffed after a greasy Wendy's dinner, and listening to the Elon football game on the radio, with my sweet hubby beside me and a puppy soundly sleeping on the other side. What a better way to end a perfect day :)

No comments: